Sunday, October 4, 2009

Death by Chocolate and Other Horrors of Studying in Paradise

It's official. I have been here for over one month. I don't know how I feel about this. I guess I can just pull out the cliche remark that time abroad does go by fast.

This past weekend was the first in which I remained here in Robina. Friday was spent at my friend's Leum's house. He had a bunch of people from BCC (Bond Christian Community) over and it was good to see that Australians can manage to have clean fun. Leum himself is quite the character, and we all had a go at his vegan food and enjoyed spending time with his vegan dog while acting in vegan ways. The end result was Vegemite on my face (Vegemite is this spread that is quite popular in AU, though I will never understand why. It tastes like soy sauce gone wrong).
Saturday was spent in Surfers Paradise, where we began our day with brunch at a Chocolate Bar. Yes, you read correctly. It was delicious, but from the picture below, you can see the aftermath of the intensity of the chocolate in which we consumed. The rest of the day was spent browsing the cheap tourist shops (you know the type... 5 crappy T-shirts for 10 bucks and shot glasses with inappropriate sayings. Beautiful) and walking the beach.

Oh, and by the way, I am taking classes here. I suppose I don't mention it much because I know everyone is worried that I would spend too much time studying and if I write one word about it, people would automatically assume I have chained myself to a desk. False. As always, I have clung to my studious ways, but of course there needs to be a balance of studying and experiencing AU. I'm taking four subjects as follows...
1 & 2: Foundations of Counseling & Understanding/Changing Human Behaviour- Both of these classes are taught be the same prof. They each meet for 3 hours, once a week. Interesting classes, but unfortunately I have not found myself as drawn to counseling as I thought I would be. Perhaps I'm realizing that the true reason why I study psy. is a desperate attempt to figure myself out. Either way, there are quite a few older people in my class (as in at least double, if not triple, my age) who have a tendency to be rather annoying by asking too many specific questions in class that have no relevance whatsoever to the tea in China.
3. Industrial/Organizational Psy- I generally like this class, though it isn't my favorite subset of psy. The prof is the oldest prof I have ever had, but I really like him a lot. Probably the type who acts really friendly in lecture, but then gets out a sword for grading. I have two friends in this class from Germany and Norway who make the class more enjoyable to attend.
4. Australian History- Although it is a 100 level course, you gotta start somewhere. I've always loved studying history and it's interesting to learn it from a perspective that isn't American. My prof could possibly be the fastest speaking person I know, even faster than my sister when she speaks Spanish. The prof drinking Red Bull during lecture probably doesn't help the situation much either.


Above is a picture of Bond during the dust storm a week or so ago. It was the strangest thing walking out of class and not encountering bright blue skies. Sydney got it a lot worst than we did, but there were still the hypochondriacs walking around with their face masks. I even saw one person wearing what resembled a Power Ranger helmet a few days later.

1 comment:

  1. As always, your posts are hilarious. Keep writing, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete