Sunday, September 13, 2009

Bond Week

Let's be honest- My cause of death will be due to being hit by a speeding vehicle on a roundabout outside my house. I always look the wrong way to see if any cars are coming (due to them traveling on the opposite side of the road) and I swear they purposely speed up when they see an innocent victim step onto the street.
As you can tell, I have experienced what the overly educated call "culture shock," yet I find myself adjusting already to the new environment, culture, and way of life. This past week was called "Bond Week:" 6 full days for the nervous newbies, entailing both long lectures and social activities (my polite way of labeling parties). I learned what to expect in lectures and tutorials and that the Aussie motto of "no worries" does not mean slack off. I watched a highly inappropriate hypnotist (this post would be rated R if I fully explained what I witnessed), saw a movie under the stars, indulged in one-too-many barbies (BBQ's), and experienced Australian nightlife (no worries, I'm not an uncontrollable partier that has been released from its cage like most study abroad Americans are).


Above is a picture of Bond University, which I have already fallen in love with. Having 3,000 students, it's the only private Australian University created in the traditions of America's Ivy League colleges (is it obvious that I copied and pasted the last part?). What I love most about the school so far is its diversity. 40% of the students are international, meaning that the majority of the conversations I have entail me saying "What? Can you say that again? I can't understand you." It is such an opportunity to be exposed to so many different nationalities and everyone is eager to learn about each other's cultures.

Allowing my inner geek to come out, I could go on and on about the tea I had with my professors or the referencing style that is required here, but I suppose you would rather here about the beaches. WORD. I'm living on the Gold Coast, and it is freakin' gorgeous. This is my first time ever seeing big waves and I'm like a little kid running up and down the beaches. My Aussie friend, Kit, already called me Neemo. Surfer's Paradise is about a 10 minute bus drive away and if you get tired of the beaches (impossible for those who are not lame), you can always walk into the city and be plenty entertained.

Oh, and keep in mind, this is their winter. WHAT?!?!!?



6 comments:

  1. kendra i just read about all your adventures! you are so funny and wonderful and I'm so excited about everything you're experiencing there! miss your wonderful self

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendra- I miss it because I know exactly what you are talking about! I wish I studied there! :) And I definitely understand being hit by a car (see: my blog) hahaha... hope you're doing fabulously and enjoying the beach for those of that are enduring winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are gorgeous. I'm so glad you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE every WORD of this blog entry. What a talented and witty writer you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fun keeping up with your big adventure! Thanks for taking us all with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww.... cute, you mentioned me! xx

    ReplyDelete